Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dinner Day 27: Spaghetti with "Meat Sauce"


I realized that I was nearing the end of the month and had not yet pulled out one the veg. staples in my recipe box-good old fashion spaghetti.
Now everyone's mama taught them to make this meal. It's usually meat, sauce and spaghetti noodles. Same here, only instead of ground beef, I used a veggie substitute called "Light Living" meat crumbles. This stuff is great and the dish is the perfect place to hide the fake meat. The sauce soaks right in and you cannot tell the difference- promise.

The "meat" is FULL of protein (12 grams/serving) with NO fat or carbs. The only downside is the price. It's about $4/box. So, as far as the cost is concerned-you break even with it's "dissected" counterpart.

Everyone chowed this down and it took almost no time to make, which help me on a work day.
I served it with garlic bread and a side salad.

The Consensus:
Alex: Love this dish.
Liam: It was GREAT!
Joseph: This is good, honey.
Me: Happy family, happy mom. (especially since I totally cheated and used sauce from a jar)

The Cost:
$5.50 for a family of four.
$1.40/person

ABSOLUTE, OUGHT TO DO IT ONCE A WEEK, WIN-NER!

2 comments:

  1. Shannyn - Thanks so much for listing these dinners! I don't eat a lot of meat (not out of conviction, I just don't like the taste very much) and what I most appreciate is that you share meals that are frugal is cost but not in diversity!
    I listen to FLR in Phoenix :) but I'm moving to Seattle and will miss it dearly.

    ReplyDelete