Sunday, March 27, 2011

Dinner Day 24:Indian Stewed Cauliflower and Garbonzos

I had a lot of cauliflower in the fridge.
It was on sale crazy cheep and where we live, it usually a pricey.
So cauliflower it is.

Alex and Liam both had friends over for dinner and to spend the night, so I let then decide HOW I would prepare the dish. (so as to all the comments from the peanut gallery about what a wierd cook I am.)

I gave them two choices. I could prepare it baked with cheddar cheese and bread crumbs, or I could make Indian "like at the restaurant downtown".

Kids never cease to amaze me.
Indian it is. (Happy Mommy)

I got the recipe out of a cookbook called The New Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas. That book is just beautiful. Bravo, Anna!

I served the dish with rice, naan, and a homemade Cardamom Ice Cream.
Note: a lot of my church lady sisters can bust out things like French silk pie and fresh baked bread with their eyes closed. It inspires and intimates me at the same time. As I stirred the milk on the stove-I felt "ahhh...this is who God made me to be." When the ice cream came out of the freezer, I felt "WHAT? WENT? WRONG???" :(

The Consensus:
Alex: This is good, Mom.
Alex's Friend: Had seconds.
Liam: Mmm...Not bad.
Liam's friend: Had a couple bite of the main dish, but ate mostly rice.
Me: I could eat like this every day and I'm going to use the ice cream in my coffee.

The cost:
$5 for 5 people
$1/person with plenty of left over’s and when my hubby gets home I know this will be a total win with him.

So, ladies and gentlemen, we have a WINNER!
(But I have to call my girls to figure out how I messed up on the ice cream. I was so excited to try it. *sigh*)

No comments:

Post a Comment